Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Missionary skills


Everyone-
We got transfer calls, and i'll be staying up here in Potsdam for another 6 weeks with Elder Killpack. That'll be 6 months in this area. I hope to stay here for the rest of my mission... that would be 9 months here. President Bulloch has been talking a lot about leaving missionaries in areas longer anyways.
The past couple weeks were a little slow because the 3 colleges up here had spring break. I don't really know what the word "break" means anymore. yeah... we take a lunch break, but we call it lunch hour. that's not even a break. But, it has been nice because a lot of families are together and are at home... so we did have some success in teaching quite a bit of lessons. The Crumps have been bringing a family to church and dinner the past few weeks, now we're teaching them. Hopefully you're all looking for families to bring to church or dinner with the missionaries too... i think the Patterson's are leading in that statistic. good job guys. Dad and Tammy had Robert Hunt over for dinner on his birthday (he's serving his mission in boise).
I have been sick the past few days,so i have been going to bed early. Sunday after church i wasn't feeling good at all so we stayed in for the rest of the day. I couldn't sleep.... so i read the book of Romans, and then i read a good majority of "Jesus The Christ". I don't think i have read for that many consecutive hours ever before. it felt really good because usually in my personal studies in the morning i am always upset that i don't have more time to study... we only get an hour of personal study. You RM's probably know what im talking about... the rest of you don't... haha im just kidding. anways. i have been feeling better lately.
I have started to notice something in my own missionary work. As missionaries, sometimes we get caught up in just saying missionary things or missionary phrases. As i have been a missionary longer, i have become really observant of how to talk to people. I have taken all of those phrases and words and put them into normal and casual language. I have learned how to read peoples' faces. I have learned to speak with more conviction because if there's no conviction behind anyone's words not only in missionary work but in any aspect of communication, then the listener won't be as effected. As i go on exchanges with other missionaries in our zone, a lot of my advice to them is about talking to people. What happens mostly to younger missionaries is that they just sound like a salesman without a personality, or a machine with memorized responses. I love pumping up other missionaries by saying stuff like "What do you want this person to feel? What do you want them to know? How can you show them that you love it? Are you excited to tell them about the restored gospel?" I think my favorite aspect of missionary work right now is just being out talking to different people. I love working with new missionaries.
welp, i love you guys, and i'm doing well. my mission is great.
love
elder warr

No comments: