Thursday, July 16, 2009

Stealing and poetry

----- Original Message -----
From: 'Kyle Warr'
Sent: Mon Jul 13 9:17
Subject: Fwd: To my peeps.



Hey guys, a lot happened since my last emailing session.

First off... a couple weeks ago, my bike was stolen... it was a nice bike that a member gave to us. It was tough because we had a back-up bike... but it's the heaviest bike ever and has no brakes.. so it reminds me of my first week in the field in liverpool when i had to stop my bike by grabbing on to shrubs and trees. We even locked our bike up, but it was a really ghetto area of town.. and they clipped the lock and took my bike. Long story short. We were with a member in the car.. we saw the bike, and Jason stole it back. so now we're back to our normal biking situation. yes!

I met President and Sister Bulloch. they are so cool... President Bulloch knows the scriptures inside and out.. i felt the spirit really strong when he was teaching us, and i am really excited to have him around. I know im going to learn so much from him. He's a completely different person than president Eckersley... so i couldn't compare them.

yesterday i spoke in church on member missionary work, and i had such a cool experience. i learned from the spirit as i was teaching. that's one of the coolest experiences as a missionary.

I was studying this morning, and i came across a poem that really got to me. It reminds me not to judge people because of the potential that we all have. People are all at different places in life... and we all have strengths and weaknesses. here's the poem. you may have heard it before, but read it again.

'Twas battered and scarred, and the auctioneer
Thought it scarcely worth his while
To waste much time on the old violin,
But held it up with a smile: "What am I bidden, good folks," he cried,
"Who'll start the bidding for me?"
"A dollar, a dollar"; then, "Two!" "Only two?
Two dollars, and who'll make it three?
Three dollars, once; three dollars, twice;
Going for three—" But no,
From the room, far back, a gray-haired man
Came forward and picked up the bow;
Then, wiping the dust from the old violin,
And tightening the loose strings,
He played a melody pure and sweet
As a caroling angel sings.

The music ceased, and the auctioneer,
With a voice that was quiet and low,
Said, "What am I bid for the old violin?"
And he held it up with the bow.
"A thousand dollars, and who'll make it two?
Two thousand! And who'll make it three?
Three thousand, once, three thousand, twice,
And going, and gone!" said he.
The people cheered, but some of them cried,
"We do not quite understand
What changed its worth." Swift came the reply:
"The touch of a master's hand."


And many a man with life out of tune,
And battered and scarred with sin,
Is auctioned cheap to the thoughtless crowd,
Much like the old violin.
A "mess of pottage," a glass of wine,
A game—and he travels on.
He's "going" once, and "going" twice,
He's "going" and almost "gone."
But the Master comes, and the foolish crowd
Never can quite understand
The worth of a soul and the change that's wrought
By the touch of the Master's hand.

I'm grateful to be here in New York... i meet so many people. i get to share something with them that's special to me. Some people listen, some dont even care, some yell. but im just doing my best. In Preach My Gospel it teaches to "find them that will recieve you". Not everyone recieves us.. but it's so cool when we find someone that will.

i love you guys! have an awesome week, and look for someone that you can offer a strong arm to.

love, elder warr

1 comment:

Queen Mother said...

Your are doing so well Kyle! I always feel better just for having read your blog. I'm so glad you found your bike! It's not stealing back. It's repossessing. Good for you guys!
Yes, I love that poem too.
Sam, Matt and Jake did Come,Come Ye Saints Sunday and Sam sent it out. Ask your mom to send it to you. They really did and nice job and a great arrangement.