Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Albany Parade

----- Original Message -----
From: 'Kyle Warr' <kylewarr@myldsmail.net>
Sent: Tue Mar 17 9:34
Subject: Fwd: Albany Oh Albany


I am pleased to announce that i will be remaining in Albany for six more weeks!
This place has become like home to me. I love our 10X10 apartment with our paper thin windows that don't insulate at all. I
love the sounds of drunk fights and honking cars (I think people in NY learn that honking will solve any problem). I love the
mice that run underneath the stove when you turn on a light. I love the man accross the street that sells indian newspapers
for 12 hours a day 7 days a week. I love our hobo friends frank, spider, cyrus, and bill.

I hope i stay here for 6 more months. that would be grreat!

So Sunday night was another fireside! this one was here in Albany! there were 140 people that attended, it was so awesome.
There were 30 non-members that showed up, so we were glad. We were also surprised to see Asad and his family! They are
the Iraqi refugee family.. Asad is such a good man, i loved to see them. This fireside was my favorite, because i knew most of
the people there, and the piano was really nice. We have a couple more firesides in April.. and we have done about 8
firesides so far. It's great.

Saturday morning was an interesting one, we headed out of the apartment at 10:00am, and it came to pass that around
11:00am we saw thousands of people that had gathered in front of our apartment on Washington Avenue for a St.Patrick's
day parade! There were bagpipers about every 10 minutes, and they were awesome because they played the "praise to the
man" tune. I thought it was hilarious because most of the college kids came to the parade, and they somehow associate
"parade" with "beer" so there was a lot of beer everywhere. We met some really interesting people that day. Some people
called us "Hey Jehovahs!" An old man tried to fight us in the park.. it was a good day.

Sometimes it's amazing to see what types of people the Lord will place in our path. I love seeing the people's personalities
come out as we teach them. The light that goes off in thier head when they find out that they have a "loving" heavenly father.
That's why missionary work pays off. The weather is getting nice here, the last week has been in the 50's so we have been
wearing short sleeve shirts.

Emily and mason, i ended up buying a yellow towel...

i love you guys :)

Elder Warr

1 comment:

penny said...

Hey Kyle, I was just looking in and realized how long it's been since I checked on you. Yikes! I need to check in more often. Sounds like you are having a great mission. And it sounds like you have a great attitude. Gratitude is the best, it makes you HAPPY even with the littlest of things. Take care!